This article has inspired three people so far to send me their condolences. I know it's confusing. Eagle Rock, Echo Park. East Side hipsters. "Whatevs," you're thinking.
Just so we're clear: I don't live in Eagle Rock. I don't hang out in Eagle Rock. I don't even know how to get to Eagle Rock.
Why would I? When I can walk, from my Echo Park bungalow, to:
1. The Friday night farmer's market. That's right, Friday night. Who wants to get up early to buy vegetables?
2. Two Boots Pizza. Okay, I can't eat the pizza, but the fact that this indie chain has branched into my neighborhoods on both coasts makes me weirdly happy. It's time for a gluten-free option, you guys.
3. Chango. The most effing hilarious hipster-watching. I can't actually vouch for the coffee (I drink mine before I leave the house), but the Arnold Palmer rocks.
4. Echo Park Lake. According to this wee adorable map by Laura, the loop around the lake is just under a mile. I should start running around it. Or walking around it. Or just sitting and feeding the ducks. I really like ducks.
5. Little Joy (pictured). I used to love this bar, but the last time I was there the patrons were all 21-going-on-16. Way to make me feel like an old married lady.
Footsie's is my new favorite bar.* A "dive" with great lighting that serves Booker's. Way to make me feel like a grupster. And yes, it's in Cypress Park (wherever that is). Don't bother with the Echo Park bars on the weekend. So. Not. Dead.
*In the interest of full disclosure, I should tell you that my rad neighbor is part owner. When H-town told him how much we liked Footsie's, he gave us two tokens for free drinks. Maybe one night we'll actually get out of the house and use them. And we srsly plan to ask him where he bought the vintage fixtures.
(Image courtesy of Meltwater)