Monday, December 5, 2011
Shindig now, wedding later?
Okay. I like lists, so we're doing lists.
1) I'm young, and engaged. Been dating about 3.5 years, happier than I've ever been, sap sap happy tears blah.
2) We want to get married. Partially for financial reasons, as I would be officially independent of my parents in a legal manner [I don't know about most states, but here you're considered dependent until you're 24 or emancipated or married], and because of the military benefits, but also because of the security in case he gets deployed [he wants to be able to take care of me, etc].
3) My parents are pissed, his overjoyed. I have an extended family [divorces and remarriages in the grandparents, so I have step-cousins coming out my ears] that want so desperately to see a wedding [as I'm the oldest and the first to get married off], but no one is writing a check for anything. I managed to get my budget around $3,500, and figured out a way to get that much money [helloooooo, tax returns!] but then realized that's almost exactly how much we're in debt... and I'd rather be out of debt and married in some back yard shin dig than more in debt.
4) So, back yard shin dig it is.
5) If I want to eventually have a "wedding" [because, yes, I want my day in my pretty dress, shuddup] what should we call it? What should the "occasion" be?
I feel stupid right now, like I'm doing this all wrong. I wish I could just be married and be done with it because stupid family drama and he doesn't quite get why it bothers me because he has no family past his parents and their respective new spouses. He's all oh hey let's just go down to the courthouse now and I'm all but that would crush my family's collective heart but I feel stupid because it's my day or something but not really but ugggghhhhhhh.
1. If you get married now you can't have a "wedding" four years from now. That would be like celebrating your 21st birthday when you turn 25.
2. What's wrong with a backyard shindig?
Photo: Vika Falileeva by Nyra Lang for Deutsch Magazine via Fashion Gone Rogue