Thursday, December 10, 2009
So yeah, the gift guides running all over the blogosphere are starting to make me a little nauseous. And now I feel guilty about the materialistic shit I post all the time.
Inspired by Keri Smith, I thought I'd offer an anti-gift guide. Or, TEN THINGS TO DO INSTEAD OF SHOPPING:*
1. Mail a holiday card to one of your blog friends. Maybe the one who sent you a present that you never properly acknowledged? You have her address. Just saying.
2. Learn how to use the juicer. Because you can't let your husband do everything for you. At least not when he's out of town.
3. Watch 4 hours in a row of Tabatha's Salon Takeover. Later, discover an awesome (in the original sense of the word) arrangement of dusty cobwebs under your desk and wonder whether Tabatha would consider taking over your house.
4. Figure out where to donate your old coat.
5. Put on your new coat and go for a walk. Snap photos of weird graffiti with your phone and save them as wallpaper.
6. Apply bioré pore strips to your entire face. Cheaper than a facial, and so much more satisfying!
7. Blast Uhh Yeah Dude while "reorganizing" the kitchen cabinets. (Read: Secretly recycling your husband's massive jar collection. What is he saving those for??)
8. Make a super rad mix CD to give your best girlfriends. Hell, give it to some guys too.** Note: Old New York mags and Urban Outfitters catalogs would make excellent raw material for collaging the cover art.
9. Finish that book you started in August.
10. SLEEP. Sleep sleep sleep.
(You can find Keri's list here.)
*Alternate title: TEN THINGS TO DO WHEN YOUR HUSBAND IS OUT OF TOWN
**I may or may not, in fact, be working on a "celebrity playlist" for The Flashdance. I'm still waiting for MA to figure out he's got me mixed up with someone else. Celebrity. Tee hee.